If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper in the Clarksville, Montgomery County area, let us say, we are excited for you and hope to be your support group along the way.
There are a lot of reasons why people want to become beekeepers. It may be the honey, saving the bees, fruitful crops, enhancing the beauty nature gives us by keeping pollinators in your yard. Whatever the reason, your journey will soon start to unfold.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Read, Research and ask questions!!
- Come to the CMCBA meeting -open to the public
- Go to a beginning beekeeper course, the CMCBA provides one annually, for free
- Read the TN Dept of Agriculture Voluntary Honeybee Best Practices Policy
- Read the Clarksville City Codes on Honeybee ordinance
- Winter is the time to collect supplies, build hives and order a Queen/Queen & bees to be delivered in spring
- Spring, plan the location of hives, food sources, water sources and receive your new Queen/bees
Become a CMCBA member. As a member you are a part of an organization that is interested in supporting beekeepers, healthy pollinators, educating the public, and ensuring that the Hive lives on!
In the spring the CMCBA has hive grants available for new beekeepers. Includes the equipment to start your first hive.