Clarksville Montgomery County Beekeepers Association
Date: 3 August 2019, Monthly Meeting Minutes / Meeting called to order at 9:30am
Location: Clarksville Montgomery County Public Library
Members present: See sign in Roster
Introductions: Jaime & John Mobley, wanna-bees, Interested in beekeeping as an environmental concern.
Approval of minutes: Minutes for the month of July posted on cmcba.com. Motioned to accept minutes by Roger Stewart, second to approve by Larry Sessums, vote/approval by membership.
Treasurer Report: Treasurer Report for the month of July posted on cmcba.com. Motioned to make amendment by Charles Cook to include Net Total on report. Motioned to accept by Roger Stewart with correction as stated, second by Larry Sessums, vote/approval by membership.
1. CMCBA Honey extractor status – Pending responses from TBA. CMCBA Secretary will reach out to TBA again and attempt to get final approval from TBA that donating honey extractor to local member who has been maintaining it for several years, and uses it.
1. No youth Hive inspection on 17 August. In lieu of inspection youth participants should plan on assisting at the Clarksville Downtown Market. Motioned to accept by Roger Stewart with correction as stated with a second by Larry Sessums, vote/approval by membership.
2. Annual Christmas party will be held in December. Discussion on change of date due to City parade on same day. CMCBA Treasurer will research available options at the DCC.
3. On 30 July 2019 the State Apiarist reached out to all Beekeeping associations on who would like an inspector grant as the deadline is “ASAP”. Discussion on certified Inspectors in the Association, 3 current Charles Cook, Jason Groppel, Becky Harris. Proposal to ask for $1000 grant with the stipulation of clearer guidance on the details of the grant, distribution, & it’s use. CMCBA Secretary will contact State Apiarist.
4. Discussion on Inspector class options. Requested a class to be held next year hosted by CMCBA. CMCBA Secretary will contact State Apiarist for available options. CMCBA Vice President will contact other surrounding associations who may be interested in combining,
1. 2. CMCBA will have a table on 17 August 8am-1pm August for conservation week @ Clarksville Downtown Market requesting volunteers from members to help with the table.
Observation Hive will be used with youth hive bees. Volunteers: Marcia Hugley-Simo, Terry Simo, Billie Zeveney, David Bosanko, Rebecca & Jovanni Peratoni.
2. What Honey Bee Projects Qualify for TAEP? The proposed activity must encompass quality
expansion or improvement of pollination or honey production. The eligible categories Apiary
expansion, honey processing equipment, pollination services and honey processing facility.
4. Tennessee Beekeepers Association (TBA) 2019 Master Beekeeper Program from UT. There are still a few Basic courses available, a prerequisite for the Master Beekeeper Course. More at:
5. Tennessee State Fair Honey Competition. Check-in: Thurs., Sept. 5th, 9 a.m.—11 a.m. Release: Mon., Sept. 16th, 9 a.m.—12 p.m. Entry Fees have been waived to exhibitors and paid by a Sponsorship More details at: http://tnstatefair.org/competitions/agriculture/
6. 2019 TBA Conference, coming October 11-12 at the Hyder-Burks Agricultural Pavilion at Cookeville, TN. Application and more information at: http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/2019-tba-conference-oct-11-12/
7. Upcoming meetings:
September 7th Clarksville Montgomery County Library Large Room 1000-1100
Youth Group 1100-1200
October 5th Clarksville Montgomery County Library Large Room 9:00-3:00 Beginning
Beekeepers – youth group included
November 2nd - Clarksville Montgomery County Library Glass Room 1000-1200
December – Holiday Party TBA
January 4th - Clarksville Montgomery County Library Large Room 1000-1100
Youth Group 1100-1200
Open floor Discussion: Opportunities for education including conference, Basic & Master Beekeeper, Hive Inspector, Current dearth, robber bees.
Meeting adjourned by the President @ 1025
Door Prizes drawn
Respectfully submitted by Billie Zeveney, CMCBA Secretary
Approval: ______________________Signed by President or Presiding Officer