Clarksville Montgomery County Beekeeping Association - Monthly Meeting Minutes
Date: 3 April 2021
Meeting called to order by the presiding officer, President Roger Stewart at 10:11am
Members/Guest present: 16 people present, see attached roster for specifics
Approval of Minutes: Minutes were read aloud and approved by majority.
Approval of Treasurer Report: Treasurer Report was read aloud and approved by majority.
- Reviewed our mission statement.
- Bee Informed website, https://beeinformed.org/ Everyone is strongly encouraged to visit the website and to participate in the colony loss survey. Survey closes out 30 April. Survey takes about 10 minutes to complete.
- 20 books are on the way and will be made available for the club to purchase at minimal cost. The books provide detailed pictures to help with diagnosing common hive diseases.
- Avoid Neonicotinoids. Neonicotinoids are a group of insecticides used widely on farms and in urban landscapes. They are absorbed by plants and can be present in pollen and nectar, making them toxic to bees. Four years ago, there was uncertainty about the impact these insecticides were having on bees. Research published since then clearly shows how neonicotinoids are killing bees or changing their behaviors. Go to the following link for more information, https://xerces.org/publications/scientific-reports/how-neonicotinoids-can-kill-bees#:~:text=Neonicotinoids%20are%20a%20group%20of,making%20them%20toxic%20to%20bees.&text=Research%20published%20since%20then%20clearly,bees%20or%20changing%20their%20behaviors.
- TBA will be starting monthly videos for education purposes. Everyone is encouraged to join TBA. https://tnbeekeepers.org/
- Fall conference to be held in Murfreesboro, TN. October 8-9, 2021.
- Fun Day to be scheduled sometime in June, specific date TBD.
- Motion to buy a portable projector and bluetooth speakers for the club’s use at educational events. Motion approved by majority.
- Pollen is coming in, prepare now to prevent swarming.
- University of Tennessee’s Beginner Level Master Beekeeper Course. The course consists of 12 online sessions, 6-7:30pm on Thursdays. Must attend 10 of the 12 sessions in order receive credit. https://epp.tennessee.edu/masterbee/
- Open discussion about Spring NUCs/Making Splits/Wax.
Upcoming meetings and events:
- 17 April 2021 – Youth hive inspection, located on Roger’s Farm 11:00am
- 1 May 2021 – Monthly meeting at the Dotsonville Community Center 10:00am
- 15 May 2021 – Youth hive inspection, located on Roger’s Farm 11:00am
- 8-9 Oct 2021 – Fall Conference in Murfreesboro, TN.
Meeting adjourned by the President
Respectfully submitted by Mike Sutton, CMCBA Secretary
Approval: ____________________________________ Signed by President or Presiding Officer