|Forum Home > General Discussion > 2016 Hive Grant|
Requirements for Recipients of the TBA Hive Grant
* Must be a first time Beekeeper
* Be a resident of Tennessee
* Complete a beginning beekeeping course
* Commence beekeeping activities in the spring of 2016
* Accept a beekeeping beginner kit grant
* Purchase bees
* Purchase additional equipment as needed
* Become a member of a local Tennessee beekeeping association for two years
* Become a member of Tennessee Beekeepers Association for two years
* Complete the Registration of Tennessee Apiaries form in accordance with the Tennessee Apiary Act of 1995. This form may be completed on line or copied for mailing. Go to http://state.tn.us/agriculture/regulatory/apiary.html for regulations and forms.
* Work with an association member mentor for two years
* If one decides not to complete the two year commitment, return grant equipment kit to local association for redistribution.
Beginner Kit will include:
1 Screened bottom board,1 Hive Body (10 frame) 10frames, 10 sheets wired beeswax foundation, 1 inner cover, 1 entrance feeder, 1 telescoping cover, 1 round veil with plastic helmet, 1 pair gloves, 1 hive tool, 1 smoker, and a Beginners Beekeeping book.
Tennessee Beekeepers Association (TBA) with the help of grant funds from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture will provide the equipment kit for two new beekeepers per club with the local associations purchasing one kit – for a total of three kits per association.
Local Associations please notify your TBA regional vice president by January 9, 2016 and inform him/her of your desire to participate.
Additional kits may be purchased by local associations if ordered through TBA regional vice presidents by January 9, 2016. However, the local club will pay for the extra kits.
Grant hive equipment will be distributed at the February 20, 2016 Board of Directors Meeting.
Once local associations award the grant equipment kits, new beekeeper names, addresses, TBA membership application and dues, and mentors names shall be submitted to Petra Mitchell, TBA Treasurer at 3900 Rock Springs Road, Watertown, TN 37184.
ONLY LOCAL ASSOCIATIONS that have fulfilled the previous year’s commitments will be allowed to participate in the Hive Grant Program. Submission of names of recipients and mentors, payment of TBA dues for recipients and mentors is part of the eligibility requirements for the Tennessee Department of Agriculture
CMCBA also requires all recipients to abide by the Tennessee Beekeepers Best Practices Program.
You must login to post.