Clarksville, TN

Montgomery County Beekeeper's Association

Subtitle

Bee Informed

Forum Home > General Discussion > Africanized Bees?

David Smith

A friend told me of a neighbor of his over in Nashville who says his bees have been Africanized.  Anybody heard anything along those lines?

--

Grace and blessings,

Dave

April 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky
Administrator

Haven't heard of it but will keep my ears open and report back if I hear anything. 

Is there anyway to get more details? 

April 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Smith

I'll ask for some more information. 

--

Grace and blessings,

Dave

April 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hunter Bees

From what I recall reading, Africanized bees can't survive winters this far north. Correct or not?

April 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim

1 or 2 packages were confirmed by Mike Studer last spring in east TN. They were packages that the keeper just received from a supplier in LA, I think. May be wrong about location. My understanding is that they were fully contained. Not sure if our winters are cold enough anymore to hold the back. I sure hope so.

--
April 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky
Administrator

This is a link to an article from last years incident in Monroe County.

Still haven't heard of there being any this year.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/apr/09/partially-africanized-bees-found-in-east/

--

Becky

April 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky
Administrator

This is from the states website.

https://news.tn.gov/node/8656

April 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Smith

Since I first posted, I learned my friend's contact was inundated by tax season (I guess he's an accountant), and I was bogged down in grad school.  Anyway, now that a lot of that's water under the bridge, I'm going to attempt getting together with him and see what he has to say.

My cousin and beekeeping mentor over near Cumberland City - he's also a retired biology professor, so I guess he knows a little about such matters - has often said our winters are too cold here in the Middle South.  Indeed, I hope he continues to be right, but my non-expert sense tells me these critters have an incredible ability to adapt, especially if they begin breeding with other more cold-tolerant apis mellifera strains.

Hopefully, more to follow (especially since I started this thread in the first place!).

--

Grace and blessings,

Dave

July 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.