Clarksville, TN

Montgomery County Beekeeper's Association

Subtitle

Bee Informed

Forum Home > General Discussion > Splits

Hunter Bees

Any advice on doing splits?  What works best for you?  Past sucesses or failures?

December 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky
Administrator

Keith, I'm increasing my numbers this year by making walk away nucs. 

When the queen got ramped up in egg laying and had plenty of bees (if I hadn't pulled frames, it would have been when I would have added a second box) I pull 3 frames with eggs on them and place in a 4 frame medium nuc box I built, along with 1 frame of drawn comb and a sliver of a pollen patty. 

The lids I made have a feeder hole in the top and I keep 1 to 1 on them.  I want them to be focused on taking care of the eggs and creating a queen. 

I carefully check them at 1 week to see if they are starting on queen cells, if they aren't then I either add another frame of eggs or if the number of bees is low I do a newspaper combine with either another nuc that is low in numbers or the mother hive. 

Once the queen has hatched, give her about 2 weeks to get mated and start laying eggs.  I leave them in the nuc box till they need more room then will move them to 10 frame equipment to finish the year.  I don't plan on harvesting anything from these or the 2 mother hives this year. 

One of the mother hives I've pulled 3 nucs off of so far and when I put together the observation hive for Rivers and Spires, she had 9 frames of eggs and brood again, so made a 4th nuc from her.  She is a layer, now to she how her daughters do.

My failures have come from

1. Checking things to often, I've killed queens by checking the nuc and they had attached to queen cell to either the next frame or the bottom board.

2. Not my failure, but the queen either didn't get breed properly or didn't return from the mating flight.

April 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelley T

SPLITS ARE WONDERFUL!!! I made one from my "strongest hive" and my girls are producers! It is only my 2nd year of beekeeping and I feel I may have a good year for honey. After my dead-out of this winter, this seems to be a blessing. I had someone with more knowledge then me (and a fertile queen) place the queen and then left the split for 2 weeks with my guy. When we picked up the split, we were told to place a super on top that night or the next day! Thank you all for advise(good and bad), my beekeeping and my honey production have started strongly. I have told family and friends I will be busy "robbing the girls" 4th of July weekend. My only fireworks may be the stings/kisses I am givien by my "kids". My first jar of honey will be a gift to a friend, all the rest will be for sale.

June 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelley T

Becky, when is it too late to make a split? I am fearful my brood chamber is getting too congested and my bees may swarm. Advise please.

June 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky
Administrator

I did some in August last year and overwintered in 5 frame nuc boxes. 

It is not to late to do some now, just watch and if it turns dry then you'll have to feed them.  They should have plenty of time to build up before winter. 

With the August nucs,everytime it warmed up to 50 degrees throughout the winter I would put a pint of syrup on them during the day,  took it off that evening. Lost my strongest and weakest due to starving, 1 not enough bees to store anything, 2. she built up so fast before anything was blooming.

If you have questions ask away, that's why wer're here.

June 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelley T

Thanks Becky, I now have a queen-wrong hive but will try to "fix' that today by letting them make another queen. I realize the necter flow is almost over but I can feed them and have several bushes that have not bloomed as of yet so.....maybe that will help things along. If this does not work(queen gets lost/does not return/ETC), I will need to join this hive with a stronger hive. May have more quesions later.

Are we doing the honey extraction at the July meeting this year, if you siad we were, I have forgotten, please forgive.

June 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky
Administrator

No wasn't planning on doing it this year.  We have the library and we voted to have meetings all 12 months now.

--

Becky

June 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky
Administrator

No wasn't planning on doing it this year.  We have the library and we voted to have meetings all 12 months now.

--

Becky

June 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.